Where to Marry

Register Office

When you're planning your special day, you can now choose from a variety of options for your wedding ceremony. The Essex Register Office Chelmsford, the ceremony room is tastefully decorated and can accommodate for 30 persons.

Former Register Office ceremony rooms

Civil Marriage Ceremony at Approved Premises

There are now over 150 venues in Essex, licensed to hold a marriage ceremony. These include stately homes, hotels, barns and civic buildings. Please use the Venue Search facility to find your dream venue.

Weddings in these venues are more popular than ever, as couples discover that they offer any number of options and ideas including, the convenience of the ceremony, reception and entertainment all in one location. The ceremony provided by the Essex Registration Service is a civil ceremony, with no religious elements. It should also be noted that marriages are not allowed to take place outdoors, or in temporary or moveable structures. However, an increasing number of the venues now have gazebos and other facilities that enable couples to have a unique and memorable ceremony experience.

Church or other Religious Building

If you are getting married in any religious building, apart from a church belonging to the Church of England (marriage according to the rites of the Church of England), it is necessary to give formal notice of your marriage to the Superintendent Registrar or Deputy of the district(s) where you live.

Usually you can only get married in a church in a different district to where you both live if either of you usually go to worship in that building or if there is no building of your religion in the district where you or the person you are marrying lives. The religious building will generally have an appointed person who will register your marriage. If this is not the case, a registrar from the district covering the building must be present at the wedding by prior arrangement. All enquiries about marriages in the established church (the Church of England) should be made to the clergy of your local parish church.